G-ANYB

Carvair G-ANYB

Aviation Traders ATL.98 Carvair – c/n 1/10528

With CAB/BUAF from Feb 1962 to Jul 1970

Given Name – ‘Golden Gate Bridge’

On 16th June 1961, Carvair No.1 was wheeled out of the Aviation Traders hanger, ready to engage in an extensive series of trials and tests that would have to be undertaken before it could be handed over to Channel Air Bridge and from that day on, it would be the first of 21 aircraft that would go on to make their own, unique mark on aviation history. However, it had been a long process to get to this stage. In Freddy Laker was an entrepreneur who was determined to cut costs and improve efficiency on the cross-Channel, car ferry services and as far as he was concerned, the new Carvair was the way forward.

Serious plans for a Bristol 170 replacement had already started way back in 1958 and by the end of 1959, an old, Dutch, C-54 fuselage had been purchased and was subsequently put to work at Southend, assisting ATEL’s engineers with jig and tool manufacturing, not to mention, solving any issues that they may possibly encounter during construction. G-ANYB was to have the honour of undergoing the first of many conversions. She had previously flown with Air Charter Ltd as a C-54 airliner, which had been fitted with a passenger cabin to supplement the Bristol 170s on the car ferry routes during the high summer, when loads were extremely high. However, at the beginning of Oct 1960, YB was handed over to Aviation Traders and her transformation began.

G-ANYB takes to the skies…

Indeed, production of the first Carvair went swimmingly until an errant fork-lift driver took it upon himself to ram one of the rear stabilisers, almost tearing the rear empennage off in the process. However, despite the damage being irreparable, the Dutch C-52 would come to the rescue and the tail plane from this aircraft was grafted onto YB and once again, all was well in the ATEL camp. Yankee Bravo eventually took to the air for the first time on June 21st 1962, for a two hour flight with ETPS graduate and ATEL Chief Pilot, Mr D.B Cartlidge and Capt Bob Langley at the helm. For the purpose of this first flight, the aircraft was flown unloaded, however, provisions were made to carry water ballast at a later stage. During this test, the flight characteristics of the Carvair were put to the test and despite the huge bulbous nose, handling was determined to be good. You can read more about this test flight by clicking on the links below.

With testing over, the aircraft was finally passed on to Channel Air Bridge and over the next week, she became the very first Carvair to ply the Calais, Ostend and Rotterdam routes across the Channel. However, for some curious reason she would remain registered to the now defunct Air Charter until finally being handed over to CAB officially in 1962. Nevertheless, she continued to provide almost 5 years of faithful service until she was finally WFU at Lydd during March 1967 due in part, to the cancellation of the ‘Deep Penetration’ routes to Central and Southern Europe. In October 1967, BUAF would become BAF and as such, ownership would pass over to the latter. However, she would never fly for this airline and was most likely used as a source of spares until her scrapping in 1970.

G-ANYB CAB

 

History of Carvair G-ANYB

3/60 to 1/62

Air Charter Ltd

1/62 to 1/63

Channel Air Bridge

1/63 to 10/67

British United Air Ferries

10/67 to 7/70

British Air Ferries

Fate

WFU at Lydd 3/67 – B/U 7/70

 

Do you have any other, interesting snippets of information about this aircraft or indeed, any pictures that you would like to share? If so, then please contact us on saadinfomail@gmail.com

Many thanks from the SAAD Admin Team.